Scotchgard After Carpet Cleaning: Carpet Cleaning Castle Rock Co
Why Does Your Carpet Warranty Require Scotchgard?
Scotchgard provides two types of protection for your carpets and area rugs.Many issues that result in costly carpet cleaning, specialty cleaning proceducts, or having to replace your carpet or rugs can be prevented with a combination of Scotchgard and appropriate treatment by the Castle Rock home owner.
- Scotchgard protectant creates a protective barrier that absorbs spills and prevents fibers from being damaged. Most household contaminated and soils are composed of rough, jagged materials with sharp edges that will cut and damage carpet fibers. These dirt particles act like sandpaper, scrapping and cutting your carpet fibers. These cuts alter how light reflects off the carpet creating shadows; this causes carpet to look dirty when actually the fibers are damaged.
- Scotchgard prevents food dyes from penetrating your carpet fibers, giving you time to simply wipe your spils with a paper towel. Many household products, Gator-aid, coffee, pens, ect, contain dye. Once a dye touches to your carpet fiber, there is no guarantee that even TLC carpet Care can reverse the damage. Your best, and least expensive, defense is to apply Scotchgard protection.
While Scotchgard provides protection, one from solid hard contaminates and one from liquid spills, they work hand in hand. On all fiber carpet and area rugs, hard materials scuff and wear on whatever surface they contact. Once the protectant is worn off the fibers, the fibers are venerable and can be damaged. This makes carpets and rugs look dull and dirty.
Once these cuts and scuffs wear through the Scotchgard and clear protective dyes (stain resistant carpet) that manufacturers apply, common spots and spills become permanent stains, blemishes and discoloration. With the defenses worn off, dyes from spills and accidents will lock to the fibers, re-dying the carpet. Instead of being able to remove all traces of the issue yourself, often the carpet must be repaired, re-dyed, or even replaced.
Obviously the biggest threat to the life of your carpet are the dyes and contaminants. Scotchgard will make it easier for you to keep your carpet clean. The application of Scotchgard provides a surface that they will not stick to. They will not be easily removed with weekly vacuuming.
Wear patterns in my carpet isn’t related to Scotchgard, is it?
Many times in hallways wear patterns that won’t come out is actually abrasion damage to carpet fibers! This is why, when the carpets are first cleaned and still wet they look good, but when they dry the traffic pattern comes back. When the carpet is wet, the light reflects off the water, but when it dries, the scuffs and cuts are visible again.
What if your carpets already have this wear patterns like pooling? It is still important to apply Scotchgard to prevent further damage. The more of this damage that you prevent, the better for your carpets. While there is no way to completely reverse the effects of pooling, your carpet’s appearance is greatly enhanced by the smooth, reflective surface of a fresh Scotchgard application, which will last long after the water has evaporated.
How often should my Scotchgard be applied?
- Carpet manufacturers like Shaw Industries recommend having your Scotchgard renewed every cleaning or once a year, depending on use.
- They all recommend having Scotchgard renewed after every professional cleaning.
- Applying a fresh coat of Scotchgard every year is the only way to keep your manufacturer’s warranty from being voided.
- It is highly recommended to have Scotchgard renewed after every professional carpet cleaning.
For this TLC Carpet Care uses only genuine Scotchgard, and we provide you with the authentic documentation your carpeting warranty requires.
What about first generation stain resistant carpets?
It all has to do with how the carpet is made. Stain resistant carpet fibers are color dyed, then re-dyed with a clear dye. The clear dye is what makes it stain resistant. The outer layer of clear dye helps repel other dyes that may spill onto the carpet.
However, stain resistant is not stain proof. Stain resistant carpets still need the outer layer of spill protection provided by Scotchgard, as well as protection from the abrasive materials in your carpet. Actually the final step in manufacturing stain resistant carpet is toapply a protective layer of Scotchgard after applying the clear dye.
The exception to rule: Mohawk has recently introduced a new carpet line called the smart strand. Mohawk provides a lifetime stain and soil resistance warranty on this product that will be voided with the application of any type of protectant.
This is the only carpet product available for in home use that doesn’t require Scotchgard to maintain the factory warranty.
To get your carpets Scotchguard After Carpet Cleaning visit our website at tlccarpetcare.net or call our office at 720-314-0178 to schedule your carpet cleaning appointment.